Last Updated: November 11, 2019
- Service or Services. Our website, mobile application, other online products and services, products, and software as accessed by a user whether or not a user has an account.
- Personal Information. Personal Information is information that can identify you, either alone or in combination with other information. Personal Information includes sensitive or special categories of personal information such as Health Information, information related to health and wellness, medications, tests ordered and related results, medical records including information related to HIV and/or other sexually-transmitted diseases, mental and behavioral health conditions and treatment, substance abuse conditions and treatment, and other health issues submitted through our Services. Please review the Section entitled “Use of Personal Information” for more details.
- De-identified Information. De-identified information does not identify you based on individual pieces of information or combinations of information. Your direct information (e.g., name) and indirect information (e.g., Device ID) are removed, such that you cannot be reasonably re-identified as an individual.
- Aggregate Information. Your personal information is combined and compiled with other individuals’ personal information for the purpose of analysis and improving our Services. The aggregation process involves de-identification of Personal Information such that you and other individuals cannot be reasonably re-identified as specific individuals.
Health Coaches and Healthcare Providers. Health coaches and healthcare providers are health coaching providers who contract with Biocanic to incorporate our Services as a component or feature of their products or services (e.g., health coaching program designed to improve one or more areas of health and wellness).
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We believe in keeping confidential all Personal Information entered into our Services. To this end, we maintain your Personal Information in compliance with applicable privacy and security rules and our contractual obligations with our uers (//www.biocanic.com/terms/), Health Coaches, and Healthcare Providers.
We collect Personal Information as part of providing Services to our users. Upon becoming a user of our Services, we collect Personal Information you authorize for submission to Biocanic. For example, we collect Personal Information when you:
- Create an account or profile;
- Participate in any interactive features of the Services;
- Fill out a form or assessment survey;
- Upload lab results or other medical records;
- Add or attach information via the client notes function;
- Health or symptom information via Health Trackers;
- Initiate a transaction such as making a purchase;
- Communicate with us via third party social media sites;
- Request information or assistance from us, including correspondence with our customer service team; or
- Otherwise communicate with us.
The categories and types of Personal Information we collect directly from you include:
- Identifiers, such as your name, username, e-mail address, phone number, mailing address, date of birth, and any other Personal Information that you choose to provide;
- Demographic information, such as age, and gender (note that some demographic information may be considered characteristics of protected classifications under state or federal law);
- Payment information, such as payment and billing information;
- Visual and audio information, such as photos and videos; and
- Any other information you choose to provide or you authorize to be collected from lab testing companies, health tracking devices, or third parties.
Automatically Collected Information
When you access or use our Services, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Transactional Information: When you make a purchase, we collect information about the transaction, such as product details, purchase price, and date and location of the transaction.
- Log and Usage Information: We collect information related to your access to and use of the Services, including the type of browser you use, app version, access times, pages viewed, your IP address, and the page you visited before navigating to our Services. You may interact with our support team during the use of our Services, in which case, we would collect information about your communications.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware type and model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, IP address and browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), mobile advertising ID, media access control (MAC) address, language preferences and location, date and time of your access to the Services, internet service provider, internet domain and host name, referral URL, and mobile network information.
- Location Information: In accordance with your device permissions, we may collect information about the precise geolocation of your device. We may also use your IP address to estimate your approximate location. For more details, please see "Your Choices" below.
The categories and types of Personal Information we may automatically include:
- Identifiers, such as your name and email address; and
- Other information that relates to or is capable of being associated with you, such as location information and transaction history.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Services. For example, we may collect Personal Information from your Health Coach, Healthcare Provider, and other third parties such as lab testing companies, health tracking devices, or other third parties. Additionally, if you create or log into your account through a social media site we will have access to certain information from that site, such as your name and account information, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such social media site.
The categories and types of Personal Information we may collect from other sources include:
- Identifiers, such as your name and email address; and
- Other information that relates to or is capable of being associated with you, such as lab testing dates and results, location information from your health tracking device.
We use the information we collect to provide, maintain, and improve our Services. Examples of how we use your information include:
- Processing your registration and related transactions for the Services, including authenticating your identity and access to the Services, and creating and managing your online account and profile;
- Collecting Personal Information entered by you, imported by you (e.g., from a device), or authorized by you (e.g., blood test results from a lab);
- Transmitting information to a third party that you authorize to receive your Personal Information through our Services;
- Delivering health recommendations and population analytics insights to Health Coaches and Healthcare Providers you designate;
- Developing, enhancing, and providing the Services you request or that are reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship, such as by completing transactions and performing our contractual obligations;
- Undertaking activities to maintain and improve the quality of our websites and Services, including by conducting internal research and development to improve the Services and the products that we offer;
- Responding to your requests and any other communications from you, including providing customer service;
- Analyzing and auditing your use of and engagement with our Services for trends and statistics and to assess patterns of use and understand your interests and behaviors to customize your experience on our Services;
- Providing advertising or marketing services about products, services (including our Services), offers, promotions, rewards and events offered by Biocanic and others, and providing news and information that we believe may be of interest to you;
- Creating an export of your Personal Information based on your authorization;
- Sending you account notifications and updates about your Services;
- Conducting scientific and statistical research and studies;
- De-identifying your data to create Aggregate Information which we may use and disclose for any purpose;
- Troubleshooting our Services or enforcing User Terms of Service use //www.biocanic.com/terms/;
- Sending you technical notices, updates, security alerts, support and administrative messages;
- Detecting security incidents and protecting against malicious, deceptive, or illegal activity, including fraudulent transactions, error, negligence, and breach of contract, and protecting against harm to the rights, property or safety of Biocanic and our users, Health Coaches, and Healthcare providers;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality of our Services, such as problems with our websites or servers;
- Complying with our legal obligations, including our tax obligations, those related to an applicable legal process, an enforceable government request, or the prevention of fraud and money laundering, and those required for you to benefit from rights recognized by law, or any regulatory requirements or provisions; or
- Carrying out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
Use of Non-Personal Information
We may also use non-Personal Information such as Aggregated or De-identified Information to study population health, wellness, chronic, or physical conditions to better understand trends and metrics that may improve Services.
Sharing of Information
- With Service Providers. We share Personal Information with unaffiliated companies or individuals we hire or work with that perform services on our behalf, including customer support, web hosting, information technology, payment processing, product fulfilment, fraud control, direct mail and email distribution, contest, sweepstakes and promotion administration, and analytics services. We only share with service providers the Personal Information that they need to perform services for us. Since our service providers are located around the world, please note that these disclosures involve cross-border transfers of your Personal Information as described in the “Transfer of Information to the U.S. and Other Countries” section below.
- With Third Parties. We do not share or sell Personal Information with unaffiliated companies or individuals for their own services or marketing purposes.
- With Our Professional Advisors. We share Personal Information with our legal, financial, insurance, and other advisors in connection with the kinds of corporate transactions described above or in connection with the management of all or part of Biocanic’s business or operations.
- In Corporate Transactions. Personal Information may be disclosed or transferred as part of, or during negotiations of any purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, securitization, or financing involving Biocanic.
- With Law Enforcement Authorities and Individuals Involved in Legal Proceedings. We disclose Personal Information when we believe doing so is reasonably necessary to comply with applicable law or legal process (including requests from authorities), to respond to claims (including inquiries by you in connection with your purchases or use of our Services), or to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Biocanic, our users, Health Coaches, Healthcare Providers, employees or the public.
- With Your Consent or at Your Direction. We share Personal Information with third parties when we have your consent to do so. For example, if you decide to participate in certain interactive areas or features of our websites, you consent to the disclosure of this information to other users of our website and Services. We may also share your Personal Information with third parties, such as Health Coaches and Healthcare Providers, when you intentionally direct us to do so or when you use our Services to intentionally interact with such third parties.
We may also share Aggregated or De-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you. For example, we may share a hashed version of your email address to facilitate customized ad campaigns on other platforms.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
Biocanic takes reasonable measures including reasonable technical, physical, and administrative controls, designed to protect your Personal Information from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. We maintain safeguards such as data backup, audit controls, access controls, and data encryption. Our Site and Services use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology to encrypt all connections to and from our Site and Services to enhance security of electronic data transmissions. However, no data transmission or storage system is guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have questions about security or possible reason to believe that your interaction with our Site or Services is no longer secure (e.g., you feel that your account’s security may be compromised), please contact us immediately at [email protected].
Biocanic is based in the United States and we process and store information in the U.S. and other countries. Therefore, we and our service providers may transfer your information to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction. We will take steps to ensure that your Personal Information receives an adequate level of protection in the jurisdictions in which we process it.
Information for Residents of the European Economic Area
If you are a resident of the EEA, when we process your Personal Information we will only do so in the following situations:
- We need to use your Personal Information to perform our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g., processing payments for and providing the products or services you have requested).
- We have a legitimate interest in processing your Personal Information. For example, we may process your Personal Information to send you marketing communications, to communicate with you about changes to our products and Services, and to provide, secure, and improve our products and Services.
- We find such processing is necessary to comply with our legal obligations.
- We have your consent to do so. When consent is the legal basis for our processing, you may withdraw such consent at any time.
Questions or Complaints
If you are a resident of the EEA and have a concern about our processing of Personal Information that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the data privacy authority where you reside. For contact details of your local Data Protection Authority, please see: //ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm
Rights Specific to Californians: Your California Privacy Rights
As the owner of your Personal Information, you have certain rights, protections, and choices under law regarding the processing of your Personal Information. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, you may contact us as indicated below. Access and Amendment
Biocanic will take reasonable steps to ensure the Personal Information it holds is accurate, complete and up to date. Upon your written request, subject to certain exceptions provided by law, Biocanic will inform you of the existence, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information and give you access (a copy) to that information. Additionally, if you have any questions or inquiries relating to our privacy practices or procedures, or if you believe that the Personal Information Biocanic holds about you is not accurate, complete or up to date you may contact us using the instructions listed below. If you are able to establish that the information is not accurate, complete or up to date, Biocanic will take reasonable steps to correct the information so that it is accurate, complete and up to date.
You may request that we delete the Personal Information we have collected from you. Please note that we may retain certain information as required or permitted by applicable law. You may request that we delete Personal Information or deactivate your account by emailing [email protected] or contact us toll free at (844) 812-8874 to make the request. If you request to delete your Personal Information, certain of our products and Services may no longer be available to you. Please note, we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
When you first launch any of our Services that collect location information, you will be asked to consent to the application's collection of this information. If you initially consent to our collection of this location information, you can subsequently stop the collection of this information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device. If you do so, our Services, or certain features thereof, may no longer function properly.
Marketing Communications Choice
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails or text messages from Biocanic by following the instructions in those emails or text messages or, if you have an account with us, managing your communications preferences by logging into your account online by emailing Biocanic at [email protected] and the specific nature of your request. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
Other Important Information
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
We do not knowingly allow individuals under the age 18 to create accounts that allow access to our secure Site or to use our Services, without them obtaining the prior consent of a parent or guardian. Biocanic recognizes the privacy interests of children and Biocanic encourages parents and guardians to take an active role in their children's online activities and interests. The Services are not intended for children under the age of 18. Biocanic does not target our Services to children under 18.
If you visit the Site, whether or not you become a user of our Services, we maintain web logs to record data about all Site visitors who use this Site and interact with the Services. We store this information for as long as is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we originally collected it pursuant to our legitimate business purposes or as required applicable law and our records retention practices. These logs may contain IP address information, types of operating system you use, the date and time you visited the site, and, if you are a user of our Services, information about the type of any personal tracker or other device or service you connect to the Services and information about the data uploaded from any such device or service.
Your Health Information